Sep 25, 2010

Good news

Hello everyone,
On Friday Sept 17th, at about 2:45 pm, Diane got a call from O.H.S.U. (Oregon Health Sciences University) transplant department. They talked to Diane about eligibility for a kidney transplant. When Diane told them that she was a citizen of the Republic of Palau, The lady said she was unsure if a Palau citizen would qualify for a transplant at O.H.S.U.
Then said she would call back within two weeks to let us know about the eligibility.

Well, that sure upset Diane. Di was seeing her world collapse around her. About an hour later, Diane got another phone call. It was from O.H.S.U. again. This time with good news. The lady said she checked, and found that a Republic of Palau citizen was in fact eligible for the transplant services offered at O.H.S.U.

We went to dinner to celebrate.

The charity event, Sept.18th, at Faragut park went well. I was really surprised at how many people were there.
It was very tough listening to Diane express her gratitude. She was crying, and I knew how sincere she was being. I noticed there was also a lot of tears in the crowd. It was way difficult holding my own back.

I wrote out a thank you to all of our friends and family. After Diane got done, I attempted to express my own gratitude to those who were in attendance, but I quickly found that it’s much easier to write something down than it is to make the words come out of my mouth.

I don’t think I did a very good job at saying what I wanted to say. So I’m going to post the written version for those who weren’t there at the park.

"Silent gratitude, is of no use to any one. Therefore I’ll attempt to, in my own way, to express my thoughts on this day.

This is a very humbling experience to say the least. I know we are standing here today due to the compassion, exhaustive work, and generosity of others. Those others are all the people who are attending today, as well as a special group of people, The OIC (One in Christ) ministry softball team, namely Charity and Mercedes, who took the initiative to put this whole thing together.

Yesterday we received news from OHSU (Oregon Health Sciences University) transplant division, that Diane is eligible for a kidney transplant. There was some doubt from the staff who are working with us about eligibility for non-americans. But at this time, Diane is on the waiting list for a kidney transplant.

This has been a difficult time for our family, filled with uncertainty and worry.
We are still waiting to hear back from the social security disability people to see if Diane will be eligible for help from them.

This frustratingly slow process has been made bearable due in large part by the efforts of my sister Barb and her husband Dave, who have unselfishly helped us to complete all the redundant paper work, and talked to the varies agencies to get the important information.

It’s hard to ask the right questions when your eyes are filled with tears.

My brother Dan, who is not here today, but I know his thoughts are with us today, has graciously made one of his homes available to us to live in while we are going through these trying times.

I want you to know, One hundred percent of financial gifts will go toward Diane’s medical care.

I am so humbled by the overwhelming generosity from our friends and family. One, of many lessons, we can take away from all this is
We will not be afraid……. as long as we have you, our friends and family, to stand by us.
Thank-you, Me-sulang"


No comments:

Post a Comment